1. Money

McDonald's McRib Locator

By October 11, 2010

Yes, you read the title correctly! There really is a McDonald's McRib Locator. McDonald's introduced the McRib Sandwich in 1981.  The boneless pork sandwich (made to look like a slab of ribs) seems to be in demand and has many "McRib Followers."

According to the Wall Street Journal, on Nov. 2, for the first time in 16 years, McDonald's Corp. will offer the McRib at outlets across the U.S., but only for six weeks or so. "It doesn't sell well all year long because people get tired of it," says McDonald's USA President Jan Fields.

According to the McDonald's USA President it doesn't sell well but there are about 300 Facebook groups devoted to the McRib, including "Bring back the McRib, Please," with more than 500 members.

McDonald's McRib Locator

Alan Klein is the creator of the McDonald's McRib Locator. His obsession with the McRib began when he was growing up on a hog farm in South Dakota. The 28-year-old meteorologist, who now lives in Minnesota, justified his craving by saying that eating McRibs supported the family business. After moving to Minnesota for college, he had trouble finding McRibs. Five years ago, he visited South Dakota and saw the sandwich at a McDonald's near his childhood home. "It rekindled my love of McRibs and made me start thinking it would be nice to know where they were," Klein says. Three years ago, he launched the McRib Locator!

Try the McRib Locator

Read the full WSJ story: Bona Fide Fans Chase Rib-Free Rib Sandwich

More Links: McDonald's Franchise, McDonald's Franchise Review

Comments
October 14, 2010 at 6:44 pm
(1) dmb79 says:

how sad this country is…..a mcrib locator?really?the saddest part is that the mcrib is one of the worst,greasy,fat filled sandwich around………..i mean if it was for a healthy sandwich,then that would be great.but cmon NO sandwich made at mcdonalds is even worth the time spent using the mcrib locator

October 14, 2010 at 9:04 pm
(2) DP says:

Are you kidding? The McRib is the best thing ever served at any fast food restaurant! The part about people getting tired of it doesn’t sound like the truth. I have heard that the McRib is so popular that pork prices increase when it’s on the menu. Now I’m counting the days to Nov 2.

October 15, 2010 at 4:00 am
(3) Brian says:

I’vehad at least one manager tell me that he wishes hecould sell Mcribs year round

October 15, 2010 at 11:55 am
(4) BOB FANNIN says:

Im counting the days,best most tasty sandwich ever!but it gives me horrific gas!

October 15, 2010 at 12:34 pm
(5) *TALICIA* says:

The Mc Rib is by far the best thing ANY fast food restaurant has ever made!!!! This is sooo exciting for it to be coming to a town near you on NOVEMBER 2nd :-) :-) I know during that time I will boost McDonalds business by eating there nearly everyday!!!!! Thanks McDonalds for listening to our love of this SCRUMPTIOUS sandwich with the best sause ever!!!! COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS………….

October 15, 2010 at 12:49 pm
(6) Kel says:

Oh please…do you really think that there is that much PORK in the sandwich. I worked for 16 years at McDs and those are the worst nastiest pieces of processed and preformed meat ever. But i have to admit the BBQ they put on it is AWESOME.

October 15, 2010 at 7:37 pm
(7) lori says:

The McRib is good, but my favorite is the Fish Filet Sandwich- I can eat 3 or the Double ones. They melt in your mouth. No other place has a fish burger this good!!! and no, I am not fat, I weigh 100lbs and 5’5.

October 16, 2010 at 11:49 am
(8) Jack says:

I did not know that McRibs had such a following. I live in Danville IL, and I’m pretty sure they are not selling McRibs at this time. This article is making me crave them now.

October 16, 2010 at 1:43 pm
(9) skeeter says:

They are good but not like there were when they first come out. The meat is smaller. The flavor not as good.

October 16, 2010 at 3:29 pm
(10) Sandy Chieeks says:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm! The Mcrib is so good no onions and add some cheese WOW thats a sandwich for you.
Mcdonalds should also bring back the bratwurst and the Cajun Chicken spicey and delicious instead of the McChicken

October 16, 2010 at 3:33 pm
(11) Patty says:

I love the McRib its yummy it should be around all year around and other faves that McDonalds has had in the past also I used to work at Mcdonalds and I tried everything from 2000-2006 (yeah I know I could’nt keep myself away)
but I tried alot and I had 2 faves 1 beind the Mcrib and the other the Cajun Chicken sandwiches. And like lori said Im not fat I weigh 106 pounds but I really do love me some Mcdonalds……

October 16, 2010 at 3:36 pm
(12) SandyCheeks says:

Its too bad I wont be able to try it once it comes out due to the remodoling of the Mcdonalds in our town which wont reopen until Dec.!!!

October 16, 2010 at 4:01 pm
(13) bob says:

drove all over the usa never seen mcrib sold year round so how do you tired of it

October 17, 2010 at 11:26 am
(14) Tim says:

They are changing the name of the sandwich to reflect the actual meat used. It is now called a McRoo, Kangaroo meat.

October 18, 2010 at 3:26 pm
(15) Gilmore says:

Guys and girls, what is the fuzz about the McRib? Please educate me…

October 18, 2010 at 6:16 pm
(16) carol says:

Even if the McRib isn’t a popular seller (and for me that isn’t the case), waiting 16 years to bring it back is a little (no a lot) excessive. Why not offer it several times a year? It certainly is better tasting than the Big Mac. Have only eaten one or two of those and I am 60 years old. It might not be that healthy for a person but if it was offered more often it wouldn’t be forbidden fruit and people would not desire it so much.

October 21, 2010 at 6:29 am
(17) Pappa Mangino says:

I am travelling on business in Luxembourg and while I have not eaten in a Mcdonalds here as we were walking back from a brassierie we peeked into the window at a McDonalds in the square and yes they did have a McRib on the menu. Alongside the Royal with Cheese.

October 22, 2010 at 2:36 pm
(18) Jones BBQ and Foot Massage says:

This is the ultimate in deliciousness! If the McRib sandwich were a women, I’d make sweet love to her.

What would I do for a McRib? I’d wrestle a gizzle.

November 3, 2010 at 10:32 am
(19) WaysToSave says:

Excellent. I’ve used the McRib locator to confirm the existence of a Ribwich only 2 miles from my home! I have never eaten a McRib.

November 5, 2010 at 1:00 pm
(20) Greasy Apocalypse says:

I think some people are missing the point – the McRib Locator isn’t about finding you a deliciously healthy sandwich filled with anti-oxidants and “good-fats”… it’s a FANSITE dedicated to those passionate enough about their fast-food, that something artificially rarefied like the McRib is now easier to track and find and consume. Consumed with a sugary soft drink and salty potato sticks, maybe even with a hot-as-molten-lava apple pie for dessert that’s more sweetened bread and processed caramel corn syrup than actual Apples… and we’re going to LIKE it, dammit.
Everybody already knows fast food isn’t the greatest thing for you – you wouldn’t want to eat it every day, and yes – it’s “bad” for you. SO what.
It’s a guilty pleasure. Too much of anything can kill you, so if you’re too afraid to eat a greasy burger or processed pork sandwich, or can’t see the humor of a website dedicated to such culinary fare – please step aside. You’re holding up the line. Personally, I think it’s funny as Hell.

December 8, 2010 at 12:19 am
(21) Hamburgler says:

I think the McRib Locator is awsome. I am obviously not alone when I say that it is my favorite sandwich – fast food or slow. I happen upon the site every once in while because I crave…much more often then McDonald’s will supply. I go to the website because it brings me hope. Hope that pork prices rise and my arteries, satisfied. So please McDonald’s, for the love of God, take one of the many ordinary burgers (that I can get at BK) off your menu and put this red morsel in my belly.

October 25, 2011 at 1:06 pm
(22) purplebutterflies says:

The McRib Locator is pretty cool =) I have never tried the McRib…it looks kinda gross, smells good tho…my boyfriend is in love with the McRib he introduced it to my boys and they totally love it!! They both said that has been the best fast food sandwich they have ever had!! So now they want to go to different McDonald’s around the area we live in to see if they have it there and of course buy it and put it in the McRib locator!

November 11, 2011 at 7:54 am
(23) BBQ RIB says:

MCRIB? YOU PEOPLE SOUND SO PATHETIC CRAVING THE MCRIB LIKE THAT. AMPM MAKES A YUMMY BBQ RIB SANDWICH TOO SO CALM DOWN ITS JUST A DAMN PATTY. MY GOSH SOUNDING LIKE A BUNCH OF FAT PEOPLE!

September 18, 2012 at 10:57 am
(24) ms kay says:

you just don’t know it’s not that we the people just sometimes crave for something.and the MC. RIB THE SAUCE THAT GO’S ON IT IS GOOD I LIKE XTRA PICKLES IT’S NOT ALL ABOUT THE PORK IT’S JUST A DAMM GOOD SANDWICH.JUST REMEMBER EVERY THING WE EAT FAR AS FAST FOOD PEOPLE DON’T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE EATING AND FOR THE PEOPLE THAT DON’T EAT PORK THAT’S GOOD . BUT WHEN U GO EAT FAST FOOD U MAY BE GETTING SOME PORK OIL OR PORK SEASING U DON’T KNOW WHAT U ARE EATING. U JUST KNOW THAT IT TASTE DAMM .SO I AM GOING TO ENJOY MY MC………… RIBS I ALL GET TWO .AND I AM NOT FAT………. I DO MAIN STAIN MY WEIGHT AND I AM SPECKING FOR US PORK EATERS I DON’T IT THAT BUT THAT MC………….. RIB GOT GOING I WISH I CAN GET ONE FOR MY LUNCH THAT WILL BE NICE.